How We're Trying to Save Our Planet
We live on an Island full of nature's wonders. We take the environment very seriously. Paper is a biodegradable, renewable, sustainable product made from trees.
Growing and harvesting trees provides jobs for millions of men and women, and working forests are good for the environment, providing clean air, clean water, wildlife habitat and carbon storage. When you don’t need it anymore, be sure to put it in a bin designated for recycling, and it will come back to us as new paper or paperboard!
• More trees are planted each year than are harvested
• The paper industry plants 1.7 million trees every single day, which is three times what they harvest.
• In 1992 there was 360% more wood in the forest than in 1920.
• 60% of paper today is recycled compared to 18% of electronic devices.
• More than twice as much wood is used for residential firewood in NY State than is used to make paper.
• Reading a newspaper everyday spends 20% less carbon-dioxide than reading an online news source for 30 minutes a day.
Through the years in both our Ohio and now at our Hilton Head printing companies, we have been a leader in managing our business in a way that impacts the environment in a friendly, positive, and thoughtful manner. Long before others were paying attention to environmental issues, we implemented the following Environmental Vision and Management Policy:
- Virtually 100% of our paper purchases are from paper companies that harvest trees from decades-old tree farms specifically planted, harvested, and replanted to provide an ongoing source of non-public paper pulp. These tree farms not only ensure a sustainable, ongoing paper supply but also assure the land they use will remain undeveloped commercially.
- We recycle tons and tons of paper every month. Frankly, it is a lot of work and effort, with a buy-back revenue stream that covers only a small fraction of the cost. That's OK, though, because we believe it to be a very valuable effort.
- We use recycled papers whenever possible and encourage others to do the same.
- We use biodegradable inks and toners that are recyclable.
- We use chemicals and solvents that are almost 100% water soluble, biodegradable, and recyclable. They are often more expensive, but we consider these products to be a wise investment.
- We have implemented programs to reduce our electrical consumption and to minimize the use of all raw materials.
- A very important way we urge our customers to partner with us in our environmental efforts is by using our digital/Internet ordering, proofing, and reordering system. Use of our digital ordering system enables all of us to save substantial amounts of gasoline and other raw materials.
- If you have suggestions about other ways we could further limit our environmental impact, please call us with your ideas.